[Bioperl-l] Unigene

Elia Stupka elia@ebi.ac.uk
Wed, 9 May 2001 11:23:55 +0100 (BST)

dear all,

had very little time to get together a proper proposal, so I will post a
vague one here. I am trying to parse Unigene entries. It seems to me that
there is little point in making a Bio::Seq co,pliant object for unigene
entries since they are a Boentry object which contains many Seq objects.
The SeqContainerI or SeqClusterI would be hte interface. Unigene would
inherit from this interface. If people think that there could be lots of
other SeqCluster objects in other scenarios, we could write
Bio::SeqCluster and make Bio::Unigene inherit from Bio::SeqCluster. If not
for now I will write the interface and a Unigene object.

Hte other thing is that SeqCluster will need its own IO system, which in
teh case of unigene needs to take in two files, the unigene cluster
information and the unigene sequences (which can be read  with SeqIO).. I
have started playing with this idea, and probably on my next plane trip on
Sunday I will implement the rest of it.  Commens very very welcome,
because as you see this is not one of those nice mails with bullets and
precise definitions ;)

Elia