[Bioperl-l] newbie question on blast

Tania Oh tania@bic.nus.edu.sg
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 11:57:26 +0800

Thanks Paul,

it was a typo when I sent the mail.. on my actual program, I did
write -method=> local
But it still asked for IO::Scalar.

Is there anyway to get around it?

cheers,
tania
-----Original Message-----
From: bioperl-l-admin@bioperl.org [mailto:bioperl-l-admin@bioperl.org]On
Behalf Of Paul Gordon
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2001 9:55 PM
To: Tania Oh
Cc: Bioperl
Subject: Re: [Bioperl-l] newbie question on blast

Hi Tania!

You should probably download bioperl 0.7 if you get a chance...
> I am learning to use bioperl 6 and trying to do some local blasts.
>
> I have a fasta file (test.txt) to blast again a small database called
> ecoli.nt
>
> below is the code:
>
> %runParam = (
>     -remote => 'local',
>     -prog => 'blastp', # program name
>     -database =>'ecoli.nt', # database
>     -seqs => 'test.txt'
> );
I think instead of
     -remote => 'local',
you should say
     -method   => 'local',

Also, you may need to customize the local blast module to fit your
site...

> However, even though I say that I want to run the blast locally, I get an
> error saying that
> that IO::Scalar is needed for remote blast. I've pasted  the error below:
Because of the -remote argument it is invoking Webblast, which tells you
that extra modules not required at BioPerl install time are needed to
use this module (this is so people who are never going to run networked
modules don't need to install superfluous code).