[Bioperl-l] BPLite?

Jason Stajich jason@chg.mc.duke.edu
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 15:43:08 -0500 (EST)

Mat -
<warning: objectspeak>
	With what you are describing, it would make sense to try and
decouple the object which contains the blast data (an analysis object) and
the parsing of the report.  We have a factory for creating
SeqAnalysisParsers which have a method next_feature which will return a
SeqFeature.  This model isn't robust enough to really handle a
concatenation of multiple blast reports in one file because the
next_feature method won't distinguish between which report you are in.  I
could imagine writing an analysis object which abstracted the notion of
similarity data - perhaps this is just a collection of SimilarityPairs and
having SeqAnalysisParserI have a next_analysis_object method, and
next_feature would be implemented in this Analysis object.

All that being said, it is definitely good work for you to see how you
would modify BPlite to parse XML - as a side note - we probably need to
choose an XML parser that we are going to use consistently across
bioperl (if one will generally solve all the problems).  Brad Marshall
chose XML::Parser and XML::Parser::PerlSAX so I see no reason to choose a
different one, but XML-philes please correct me if there is reason to
change.

I think we have some work to do in structure definitions before we are
ready to scale to multiple report and multiple format blast parsing.

-Jason