[Bioperl-l] zero length sequence in PrimarySeq

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki@ebi.ac.uk
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:26:49 +0000

Since Bio::PrimarySeq is one of the most important classes in BioPerl, read
carefully the the following:

If you reset the sequence of a PrimarySeq to a zero length after first
setting it to some value and you had not set moltype, method _guess_type
got called and threw an exception. I've now fixed it in both 07 branch and
main trunk by conditionally calling _guess_type only if the sequence ne ''.

One could argue that one should always set the moltype but I think that is
expecting a bit too much from a casual user.

One alternative would be for _guess_type to silently do nothing rather than
throw an exception.

If you feel that some other implementation of the fix is better than the
one I did, feel free to change the code, but please keep the functionality.

	-Heikki

     _/  _/  _/  Heikki Lehvaslaiho          heikki@ebi.ac.uk