[Bioperl-l] Re: Bioperl-l digest, Vol 1 #251 - 10 msgs

Adam Witney witneya@nmrc.navy.mil
Thu, 08 Mar 2001 18:02:00 -0500

Hi Finny,

We have been working on microarrays for the last year or so, and we have
designed a database (running in Sybase) to store all our experimental info
and we now use Perl to interact with the database and to perform various
statistical analyses in order to generate reports from the data.

I think Perl is very good for manipulating the data, however the biggest
problem right now is coming up with the analysis strategy rather than in
which language to code it. When analysis approaches become accepted as
standard then it would be easier to write more systematic programs.

There seem to be various database systems that can be downloaded from
various sites... take a look at

http://www.ebi.ac.uk/microarray/
www.microarrays.org
http://genome-www4.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/SMD/login.pl

I would be happy to talk about this more off list if you would like

adam