[Bioperl-l] question about Bio::DB::GenBank

Elia Stupka elia@ebi.ac.uk
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 10:12:19 +0100 (BST)

> assume there has to be some way to submit my work around. Not only that, I'm
> sure that Elia Stupka (the author of the script) doesn't want me modifing the
> code and re-distributing it. So what do I do with my work around?

Dear Bob,

I am sorry I was away from e-mail for a while. I am sure Jason told you
about it already, by all means redistribution and collaboration are at the
core of bioperl, and there is no such thing as "my code". Since I am also
working with bioperl-db, I'll try to figure out what is going on if it
hasn't been solved already.

The genereal rule with bioinformatics is that your code works fine, and
passes tests, but often fails the "whole genome test", just because funny
things happen in large datasets, so I am not surprised. I have made
several bug fixes to bioperl-db after loading all human EMBL entries, but
had not tested getting them all out again.

Elia

tel:    +44 1223 49 44 31
mobile: +44 7971 59 03 69
fax:    +44 1223 49 44 68