[Bioperl-l] Installing OS X dependencies

Steven Cannon cann0010@tc.umn.edu
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 19:41:29 -0500

Todd:

Thanks for the t-coffee installation suggestion. I had success this
morning with a similar fix, suggested by Bill Van Etten, who wrote:

The hack/solution I came up with is to comment out the declaration and
implementation of vfree in the t_coffee source such that the vfree in
libm is used whener t_coffee calls it. Only required commenting out a
couple lines in two files (t_coffee_source/util_declare.c and
t_coffee_source/util_lib_header.h). The diffs are provided below. I'm
guessing that this hack works as the tests (performed during the build)
reported 100% success.

This seemed to work. I did the same sort of thing with Tree-Puzzle for
OS X (a phylogenetic program), which also had a namespace collision. The
change was to rename the occurances
of radixsort in ml.h and ml1.c to tpradixsort.

I would be interested in seeing some sort of common repository of these
kinds of 'make' fixes for OS X (particularly for the Bioperl
dependencies, but also for related bits of bioinformatic software).

Steve