[Bioperl-l] Feature/Location

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gmx.net
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:27:47 -0800

Ewan Birney wrote:

> Ok. It looks like I have to conceed the has-a location, as long as I am
> allowed to return $self for C extensions for ensembl ;)
>
> I think I have "won" on the no exception throwing (???)

I think it's BioPerl that won -- by all the feedback we got. We
can have more confidence now that it makes some sense what we
code. Thanks to everyone, and sorry for forgetting you, Mark, I'm
glad you stepped in without being asked.

I see that exception throwing in ->start()/end() is not the best
idea for many applications. In a sense the situation may be
similar to SeqIO, where we now have client-controllable severity
level of putative format violations (which in fact mostly are
BioPerl incapabilities). So, we can design the start/end
implementation along a client-controllable policy, with a relaxed
default.

	Hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                                email: hlapp@gmx.net
GNF, San Diego, Ca. 92122                  phone: +1 858 812 1757