[Bioperl-l] A couple of CVS questions.

Jason Stajich jason@chg.mc.duke.edu
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 09:17:01 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> Peter Schattner wrote:
> >
> > A couple of CVS questions.
> >
> > 1. How can one access earlier releases of bioperl?  I haven't been able
> > to find them on CVS or elsewhere.  Where should I be looking?
> >

> You can checkout based on one of version, tag, or date. You very likely
> don't want to checkout a release by version, as each file has a different
> version. There is a tag for the 0.6.x release branch, and also for other
> releases. If you want to checkout the whole development trunk in an earlier
> version, the most sensible way is probably to go by date (option -D). For
> individual modules you can go either way.
>
> Do you have the manpages of cvs? They're actually poor compared to the
> info-files cvs comes with. On a Unix box with info installed you should be
> able to type 'info cvs'.
>
> > 2. Some modules were moved to different directories within the CVS
> > structure recently (eg Bio::Tools::Alignment::Clustalw.pm was moved to
> > Bio::Tools::Run::Alignment::Clustalw.pm ).  Since then, I don't seem to
> > be able to find the versions of the modules made prior to the date that
> > the modules were moved.  Can someone tell me if these older versions are
> > accessible and if so how to find them.
>
> The files were moved without retaining the revision history (cvs is bad at
> file moving and renaming; you have to mess with the repository in order to
> have cvs history preserved in this case). The version at the former
> location was deleted, so you can restore it at the former place only. The
> file at the new location has lost all its revision information before the
> move.

Many apologies, this was my stupidness for not moving the files the
correct way.  I wish I had waited for Hilmar's email.... Learned my
lesson though.... I didn't realize we could move the RCS files (itchy
trigger finger) before I moved the src files.  If you look at the
first date in Bio::Tools::Run::Alignment or Bio::Tools::StandAloneBlast
you can see when the move occurred and then checkout with -D as some day
or time before then.