[Bioperl-l] Re: Protein encoding by both DNA strands

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 12:07:22 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 24 Feb 2001, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> Has anyone already read the article in Nature 409, 1000 (2001). I
> so far implemented that for a transcript's CDS you cannot sensibly
> mix exons from both strands (which may be narrow-minded anyway,
> because it assumes that all exons refer to the same sequence, or
> different sequences in the same direction).

Yeah. Fun eh?

Delighted to say the Ensembl gene model has no difficulty with this
(though the drawing code will be interesting). I think the Bioperl gene
model and location is ok with this, but would need a convention about what
strand these beasts are on (I guess strand 0)

> This business is going to be a nightmare.

At last we are not dealing with trypanosomes. Wide-spread RNA editing
would be a nightmare.

<birney@ebi.ac.uk>.