[Bioperl-l] BioPerl (and Java, etc?) at OScon

Nathan Torkington gnat@frii.com
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 14:13:15 -0700 (MST)

Hi, my name is Nathan Torkington.  You might remember me from such
books as "Perl Cookbook" and, well ok, just the "Perl Cookbook".  So
much for a Simpsonsesque opening.

I'm putting together content for this year's O'Reilly Open Source
Convention, which The Perl Conference is part of.  I'd love to have a
day of talks about open source bioinformatics tools from the various
bio* groups.  The problem is that I've left it to the last minute to
realize this.  We have a marketing deadline of March 1, by which time
we need to have most of the content nailed down.

Does anyone here who is well-integrated with the other bio* groups
feel capable of pulling together such a track on short notice?  A day
has 3 90 minute sessions, each session can have one, two, or three
talks in it (how many is up to whoever organizes the track).  So
you're looking at getting somewhere between 3 and 9 talks aimed at
other bioinformaticians.

If the timeframe is too short to involve all the bio* groups, my
second preference would be to have a bioperl session (three 25-minute
talks) as part of TPC.

I'm subscribed to this list, and will follow any discussion of this.

Thanks,

Nat