[Bioperl-l] Newbie question regarding the BioPerl Archive

Chris Devers cdevers@cis.usouthal.edu
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 09:37:30 -0600 (CST)

On 27 Dec 2001, Elizabeth Bowen wrote:

> I had already studied regular, non-OO Perl for about three months.  I
> had also read the O'Reilly books "Learning Perl," "Developing
> Bioinformatics Computer Skills" and "Beginning Perl for Bioinformatics."
> At that point, I felt really prepared to start on BioPerl.  But then...
> I realized very quickly that I knew next to nothing about using OO Perl,
> which is integral to be able to work with BioPerl.

I had the same thought about _Beginning Perl for Bioinformatics_: I could
tell that the author was leading up towards OO code (he does a nice job of
encapsulating his subroutines, which is about 1/3 of the work needed for
OO), but he stopped abruptly with a short chapter on the things that he
had to leave out (BioPerl, OO, DBI, CGI, and XML). Apparently there will
be a followup book that gets into those topics in more detail, but in the
meantime you might want to check out Damien Conway's _Object Oriented
Perl_, which gives a pretty detailed & accessible look at the subject.

--
Chris Devers                           chdevers@netscape.net
Apache / mod_perl / http://homepage.mac.com/chdevers/resume/