[Bioperl-l] Exceptions and Interfaces

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 12:48:01 +0100 (BST)

I am downloading now and will poke.

In general I think that this basic idea of exception handling should be a
big win and we should move that way. I'm all for rolling this into
Bio::Root::RootI. I'll play around and see what I think...

The only thing we have to get around is the Error.pm dependancy, with
options of

  (a) including last version (but then an installation of bioperl will
override a currently installed version - might not be ideal. Could solve
this with some makefile.PL magic)

  (b) loud documentation that you need Error.pm. perl -e -MCPAN is
*pretty* easy to use

  (c) Makefile.PL does some magic, optionally downloading it for you if
you say "yes" to "download Error.pm" (possibly for all other external
dependancies as well?). But this is CPAN.pm functionality....

Any thoughts from elsewehere....

<birney@ebi.ac.uk>.