[Bioperl-l] BLAST dispatcher

Tu Qiang tuqiang@dna.sibc.ac.cn
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:17:8 +0800

Dear all,

I am a newbie of perl programming. I appreciate the bioperl society's efforts for sharing those wonderful scripts to all and I want to do something for all too.

Now I wrote some scripts for dispatching BLAST tasks, which called "BLAST dispatcher". As you know if we have to do piles of BLASTs, the solution is either a powerful server or a linux cluster. The powerful server is expensive, while the linux cluster requires linux OS on each node and a high-speed LAN. BLAST dispatcher can distribute those tasks to all the PCs of the lab. Thus the idle CPUs can be used. This solution doesn't require an expensive server, or linux OS on each node, or high-speed LAN. I think it is cheap, powerful and easy.

Since I am a newbie I think the program is unprofessional. So I want to distribute this program as alpha version to a small and enthusiastic group such as bioperl. After that I hope share the program in "ScriptCentral" at bioperl with all. Thank your for using. Any suggestions and comments are welcome.

For more detail see:
	http://dna.sibc.ac.cn/~tuqiang/blastdisp/blastdisp.htm
Download:
	http://dna.sibc.ac.cn/~tuqiang/blastdisp/blastdisp_0.2.zip

Qiang Tu
Institute of Biochemistry and Cell biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Email: tuqiang@dna.sibc.ac.cn
Web: http://dna.sibc.ac.cn/~tuqiang/