[Bioperl-l] remote blast update

Wiepert, Mathieu Wiepert.Mathieu@mayo.edu
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 10:17:48 -0500

The Biojava Sax package parses quite a few blast outputs, that would be a
good template to start with if there is a need to port that code.  The
parser plugs nicely into XSLT processors now as well.  I know that Harold is
close to having some CORBA work done, so we might just want use the java
stuff, rather than port it all?

Also XML output is an easy hop here so we are definitely looking for
someone to consider writing an XML blast parser - as a BPlite plugin or
coder's choice.  Maybe we even go to BlastIO/text, BlastIO/xml,
BlastIO/asn.1 structure?  Blast is pretty much the staple of
bioinformatics right now so anything we can do to make handling
reports easier in bioperl is a big plus.

 - Mat