[Bioperl-l] Detecting type of an object.

gert thijs gert.thijs@esat.kuleuven.ac.be
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 12:38:19 +0200

I am wondering if it is possible to detect the type of an object.
For instance, I have written a module that parses a blast report to select a
sequence. The module returns the sequence as a Bio::Seq object if the parsing
was succesful and some error message when there was no good hit found.
Now when I use this module in a script I would like to test whether or not
there is a sequence found before doing something with the sequence. Is there a
proper way to tackle such a problem?

Thanks,
Gert Thijs

+ Gert Thijs              gert.thijs@esat.kuleuven.ac.be +
+ Dept. Elektrotechniek ESAT-SISTA                       +
+ Kardinaal Mercierlaan, 94                              +
+ B-3001 HEVERLEE  Belgium                               +
+ Tel :  +32-16-32 18 84 ---- Fax : +32-16-32 19 70      +