Bioperl: bioperl-corba-release-0.1 coming up

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Fri, 12 May 2000 02:44:08 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 11 May 2000, Jason Stajich wrote:

> I will try (with Ewan's help) to have release-0.1 of bioperl-corba-client
> and bioperl-corba-server ready by the middle of next week.

This is *so* great. I am planning to have a play again, but at the moment
this all looks really good.

Documentation is I think what we will need.

Remember guys - the goal here is to get the bio* systems working togther
cleanly

> Current working version of the code is available as always through cvs as
> bioperl-corba-client and bioperl-corba-server.  It is much closer to
> public consumption than before - I am still adding POD and a howto doc.
>
> Currently we have bioperl-corba-server which contains classes
> that provide server-side bioperl functionality while complying
> with the biocorba idl.
>
> Bio::CorbaServer::Base - (like Bio::Root::Object )
> Bio::CorbaServer::Seq
> Bio::CorbaServer::PrimarySeq
> Bio::CorbaServer::SeqFeature
> Bio::CorbaServer::PrimarySeqIterator (sort of like Bio::SeqIO)
> Bio::CorbaServer::PrimarySeqDB    (sort of like Bio::DB)
> Bio::CorbaServer::SeqDB           (sort of like Bio::DB)

I have just changed Bio::CorbaServer::SeqDB/PrimarySeqDB to be more
generic.

> bioperl-corba-client provides client side access to corba objects which
> should behave the same as their bioperl counterparts.
>
> Bio::CorbaClient::Base - same idea as CorbaServer::Base
> Bio::CorbaClient::Seq
> Bio::CorbaClient::PrimarySeq
> Bio::CorbaClient::SeqFeature
> Bio::CorbaClient::PrimarySeqIterator
>
> Bio::DB::Biocorba - provide Bio::DB access to a Biocorba SeqDB
> Bio::SeqIO::biocorba - provide Bio::SeqIO access to a Biocorba
>                        PrimarySeqIterator
>

> Preliminary tests have been run to test SeqDBs on different platforms and
> flavors of CORBA (and consequently Seq and PrimarySeqs).  More testing
> needs to be done with the intention of catching memory leaks and
> performance problems.
>
> Sucessful tests for the following (with ORB flavor listed):

What does OMG CORBA mean (?).

All this was across TCP/IP as well? I think this is *so* impressive.
We are really going to open up interoperation for people not using Perl...
Bioperl to the masses....

>   Java Server <-> Java Client (OMG CORBA)
>   Java Server <-> Perl Client "  "
>   Java Client <-> Perl Server "  "
>   Perl Client <-> Perl Server CORBA::ORBit
>   Python Client <-> Perl Server ( fnorb and omniorb, with some
> 				  ORB specific problems )
>   Python Server <-> Perl Client  " "
>

> Ewan - Feel free to clarify or add to this.

It is just *great*. I am getting dizzy over here.

We need to try this out with large cases and memory issues. But I suspect
this will only happen after we release the code for people to hammer.

Looking forward to seeing the release.