Bioperl: Re: feature parsing for GenBank/EMBL

Georg Fuellen fuellen@alum.mit.edu
Tue, 9 May 2000 09:44:21 +0200 (MET DST)

Dear Hilmar,

On Mon, 8 May 2000 hilmar.lapp@pharma.Novartis.com wrote:
> Why the hell is this list server so terribly slow? I experience a delay of a
> couple of hours, both from at home and at work, so I think it cannot be our
> company gateway alone (which is notorious for its speed).
>
> Apologies from someone who is sometimes impatient.

No problem -- its usually better to overdo problem reporting, rather
than to leave maintainers in the dark about problems.

I assume that you refer to the mail that you sent a few hours before;
it was not distributed because its size exceeded the listserver limits,
see http://www.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/~fuellen/Tmp/ThatBigPost.txt
(You should have received an automatic notification about this -- if this
mechanism didn't work, please tell, and I'll investigate that problem.)

In general, I'd like to keep some upper limit on the size of posts
because not only may the listserv become overloaded (vsns-bcd-perl
has hundreds of subscribers), but some recipients may start complaining,
too, if mails are too large.

best wishes,
Georg Fuellen
Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum, Spezielle Zoologie