Bioperl: Re: Bioperl-guts: 06 - pre release 2.

Steve Chervitz sac@neomorphic.com (Steve A. Chervitz)
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 19:14:49 -0800 (PST)

Ewan Birney writes:

 > The second pre release of the 06 series is out for people to download
 > and test/break/complain about. It is at
 >
 > ftp://bio.perl.org/pub/birney
 >
 > bioperl-06pre2.tar.gz
 >

 > This pre-release includes new modules
 >
 >   SeqStats - protein and DNA molecular weight functions
 >              Peter Schattner
 >
 >   CodonTable - Codon Table translations and reverse translation
 >                for all known codon tables.
 >                Heikki Lehvaslaiho
 >
 > Many thanks to both of these authors
 >

 > In addition I have split out the Root Object system to allow better
 > integration with non-perl based systems, fixed minor errors. Steve
 > Chervitz has provided a number of fixes to the BLAST parsing modules.

Ooops! Not all of my Blast module fixes are in. Also, I want to add
the retrieve_blast.pl helper script. I'll commit shortly, so if you're
planning to do lots of blast testing, wait till the next pre-release,
which should be soon.

I also fixed up the examples/seq scripts to be SeqIO-compliant (these
are in pre2).

 > We have 144 tests in the test suite, all of which pass.

:-)

 > I have the following things left to do before the stable branch
 > can be put in:
 >
 > a) see whether I can make the BLAST HSP objects compliant to
 > the new Bio::SeqFeatureI interface, making the BLAST parser
 > play well with the new sequence object.

Ideally, you'll also want to make the BLAST Sbjct object (i.e., a hit)
compliant to SeqFeatureI. It's natural to think of a database hit
as a feature on a sequence that contains child features (HSPs). When
your looking at a bunch of HSPs, it's important to know which ones
belong to the same hit.

Regarding the Blast parser, let me know if you have questions.

Cheers,

Steve Chervitz
sac@neomorphic.com