[Bioperl-l] Bio::Tools::OddCodes

Will Fischer wfischer@indiana.edu
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 11:33:53 -0500

"synonymous" changes are mutations in the DNA sequence that don't
change the amino acid encoded (e.g. ttc -> ttt, both encoding Phe);
"non-synonomous" mutations do change the amino acid encoded
(e.g. ttc -> tta, Phe -> Leu), and the mutant gene therefore
produces a different protein product.

So it's not a way of classifying amino acids at all...

-- Will
Will Fischer

Biology Department                      wfischer@indiana.edu
Indiana University                      Lab:   812-855-2549
Jordan Hall 142
1001 E. Third Street                    FAX:    812-855-6705
Bloomington, IN  47405-3700 USA