[Bioperl-l] help test Bundle::BioPerl

chris dagdigian dag@sonsorol.org
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 16:16:08 -0500

Brian--

{cc'ing this to bioperl-l in case others have the same issue...}

You are correct that the Bundle::BioPerl distribution only contains one
simple perl module called BioPerl.pm. This is actually perfectly correct :)

The way that CPAN.pm works with Bundle modules is that it looks inside the
POD documentation for a specially typed section called 'CONTENTS'. When it
finds this section e CPAN.pm will actually go out and download/install all
of the modules that are mentioned in the CONTENTS section of the module POD
docs.

I know this is weird -- essentially CPAN.pm is reading the documentation of
the Bundle::BioPerl module to determine what to install.

In real world use you would never actually locally install Bundle::BioPerl
(or even look at the embedded POD docs) you would simply invoke 'install
Bundle::BioPerl' within the CPAN.pm interactive shell and it would download
the Bundle file from CPAN and then start working on the contents.

Make sense? This will be very confusing to anyone who has not used the
CPAN.pm module to handle automatic installation and upgrading of perl
modules. This is sort of a 'fringe' use of CPAN but it is becoming more and
more useful. I can't tell you how happy I am at being able to simply type
'perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::libnet'' instead of downloading all those
darn modules one at a time...

Regards,
Chris