[Bioperl-l] Re: Bio::DB::WebSeqDB and Bio::DB::GenBank

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gmx.net
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 22:20:00 -0800

Jason Stajich wrote:

> BTW, have we ever thought about adding a ASN1.1 reader to SeqIO?  I'm not
> sure how useful, but would best way to get data + features from NCBI rather
> than the sometime unhappy GenBank formats that come out of NCBI.  This may
> be a beast to write though so I'm not sure it is really that important.

ASN.1 has been NCBI's format of choice for years, long before they even
thought about adopting XML. Their ASN.1 schema is probably also much
stabler than the XML equivalent. If we only had a parser for it. There
is even a module out on CPAN:
http://search.cpan.org/doc/GBARR/Convert-ASN1-0.07/lib/Convert/ASN1.pod

I don't know how useful this could be. Any people on the list with
experience or feelings in this regard?

	Hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                                email: hlapp@gmx.net
GNF, San Diego, Ca. 92122                  phone: +1 858 812 1757