[Bioperl-l] Bio::SeqIO::game

Bradley Marshall bradmars@yahoo.com
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 11:52:41 -0800 (PST)

--- Ewan Birney <birney@ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Bradley Marshall wrote:
>

> > How about this as a solution?
> >
> > We'll add a top level attribute and/or tag
> describing
> > whether or not the document is "chunkable".  Chris
> > suggested we have a top level <flavor> element.
> This
> > can specify whether or not the document is
> chunkable.
> > A chunkable document would have this structure:
> >

> ;).
>
> I think all useful documents will be chunkable.

I agree that this is the case for large data transfer
jobs like you're talking about.  A question we have is
whether or not you're planning on transfering only
genomic seqs w/ features or if you're doing mixed
files - with genomic seqs' features forming mRNA and
AA sequences.  It is this second case in which keeping
things "chunkable" becomes difficult.

But this flexibilty is also a major advantage of the
GAME format. And even if a document is NOT chunkable,
parsing performance is pretty gude for non-huge
documents.  We still need to deal with the file-handle
issue....

Brad