[Bioperl-l] xml sequence download from ncbi

Clay Shirky clay@shirky.com
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 12:22:06 -0400 (EDT)

> Great stuff!!  Two things I  had a problem with. First IE5 wanted to
> download to viewer.cgi so I wonder if the mime type is not set

The problem is that for setting local filenames, the browser (NS does
this too) sets to the server file name.

The ideal solution to this would be to use the PATH_INFO envrionement
variable, so you could write

> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/viewer.cgi/1827915/?cmd&save=on&view=xml

and have the file name show up as 1827915.

However, I don't know how well supported PATH_INFO is.

An alternative would be the Vignette approach, which would be to write
the file out as '1827915.seq' or something and re-direct to that. This
would make the file name the request number and would have the
side-effect of caching popular requests.

Or you could just instruct viewers to rename the file in order to
avoid over-writing it...

-clay