FreeBSD & Bioper (was Re: [Bioperl-l] FreeBSD port of Bioperl )

Chris Dagdigian CDagdigian@genetics.com
Mon, 07 Aug 2000 15:56:07 -0400

Interestingly enough...

The FreeBSD people have  also graciously donated CDROM's (alpha & intel)
which will be given away to all BOSC conference attendees.

-Chris (secret home OpenBSD user. heh.)

>>> Johann Visagie <johann@egenetics.com> 08/07/00 09:22AM >>>
This may be of peripheral interest to some people on the list:

I recently submitted a FreeBSD port of Bioperl for inclusion in the FreeBSD
ports tree, and this was subsequently committed.

This means that a FreeBSD user with an up-to-date ports tree can now install
Bioperl as simply as:

  cd /usr/ports/biology/p5-bioperl ; make install

The current port installs Bioperl 0.6.1 as well as version 0.6 of the
compiled extensions.  Fetching of the package as well as installation of all
dependencies (LWP, AcePerl, IO-stringy) will be handled automagically.  It
also means that Bioperl should go out on the official FreeBSD CDs as of the
next release (only scheduled for November, I believe) and will be available
for installation by the user from the initial OS installation menus.

If there are any FreeBSD users out ther who are in a position to test whether
the port works for them, I'd be grateful.

-- Johann