Bioperl: A trivial documentation question

Vicki Brown vlb@deltagen.com
Thu, 27 May 1999 10:01:52 -0700

At 05:18 +0100 5/27/99, Ewan Birney wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 1999, Steve Chervitz wrote:
>> D. Joe Anderson writes:
>>  >
>>  > >From the bioperl man page:
>>  >           extensions were provided by Ewan Birney. Bioperl is used in
>>  >           anger at these sites, indicating that is both useful and
>>  >           that it works.
>>  >
>>  >
>>  > I was intrigued by the phrase "used in anger."  What does this mean?
>>
>> This is Ewan's phraseology for "used extensively for solving real
>> world problems" as opposed to simply playing with it in a purely
>> academic exercise.
>>
>> One problem with using colorful language is that it can be
>> misinterpreted. Here are some possible interpretations I'm sure he
>> did not intend:

   4) People use BioPerl so much that when they get angry or emotional
      they shout BioPerl module names at each other!

 :-}

At 05:18 +0100 5/27/99, Ewan Birney wrote:
>>   3. Bioperl was used to commit random acts of violence.
>>
> But I do like this! I think the phrase should stay ;).

I suggest you add a footnote about what the phrase means, however. For
those of us who don't know (I had assumed it was either a typo or a
peculiar idiom :-)

- Vicki
-----
 //=\   Vicki Brown <vlb@deltagen.com>
 \=//    Journeyman Sourcerer: Scripts & Philtres
  //=\    (Mac)Perl, awk, sed, *sh..., occasional C
  \=//     A little web-gardening on the weekends
   //=\
   \=//      Deltagen, Inc.
    //=\     1031 Bing St, San Carlos, CA 94070
Project URL: http://bio.perl.org/