Bioperl: A trivial documentation question

Steve Chervitz sac@neomorphic.com (Steve A. Chervitz)
Wed, 26 May 1999 19:55:35 -0700 (PDT)

D. Joe Anderson writes:

 > >From the bioperl man page:
 >
 >           Bioperl was then taken up by people developing code at the
 >           large genome centres. In particular at Stanford, Steve
 >           Chervitz (the current bioperl coordinator), at the Genome
 >           Sequencing Centre (St Louis) Ian Korf and at the Sanger
 >           Centre (Cambridge UK) Ewan Birney.  All of the C code XS
 >           extensions were provided by Ewan Birney. Bioperl is used in
 >           anger at these sites, indicating that is both useful and
 >           that it works.
 >

 > I was intrigued by the phrase "used in anger."  What does this mean?

This is Ewan's phraseology for "used extensively for solving real
world problems" as opposed to simply playing with it in a purely
academic exercise. At least, this is what I understand him to mean by
"used in anger". Ewan can elaborate more as necessary.

One problem with using colorful language is that it can be
misinterpreted. Here are some possible interpretations I'm sure he
did not intend:

  1. Use of bioperl caused anger towards the bioperl developers.
  2. You have to be angry or desperate before using bioperl.
  3. Bioperl was used to commit random acts of violence.

Steve