Bioperl: "lightweight analyses"

Steve Chervitz sac@neomorphic.com (Steve A. Chervitz)
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 00:25:36 -0800 (PST)

Andrew Dalke writes:
 > I was looking at:
 >   http://bio.perl.org/Projects/Sequence/
 >
 > where it says:
 > > Desirable lightweight analyses not yet written
 > >
 > >   Property analysis (MW, pI, etc.)
 > >   Metric "sliding window" properties (GC-content, hydrophobicity, etc.)
 >
 > For some strange reason, I was in the mood to write some perl today,
 > so I implemented at least the algorithms for doing these.  I don't
 > do much with the bioperl code itself, so someone else will have to
 > look into integrating this into the existing framework.  Also, as
 > I don't do much perl programming these days, that person should also
 > check to make sure I did things the modern way.

Thanks for the code Andrew! Eventually, we hope to incorporate
algorithms such as yours within the Bio::Tools:: modules. Where it
will end up, I can't say at this point. But whatever muse inspires you
to crank out perl code, I hope you keep it happy. :-}

 > Legal notice:  this code may be distributed under whatever the
 > standard bioperl license is.  If there isn't a standard license, it
 > may be be distributed under terms equal to the Python license (with
 > the appropriate replacement of names to Andrew Dalke and Bioreason,
 > Inc.).

All code in the bioperl is covered under the same terms as Perl, which
gives you the choice of either the GNU GPL or the Artistic lIcense that
comes with the Perl distribution:
ftp://ftp.flirble.org/pub/languages/perl/CPAN/doc/manual/html/READMEs/Artistic

I'm not familiar with the Python license, but I'd image it is
something similar? We would place something like the following in code
that you contribute:

# Copyright (c) 1999 by Andrew Dalke and Bioreason, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
#           This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
#           modify it under the same terms as Perl itself.
#           Retain this notice and note any modifications made.

The (c) line would also include names of anyone else that works on on
integrating it into bioperl. Sound good?

Steve Chervitz
sac@neomorphic.com