Bioperl: Possibly Off-topic: BoulderIO fails with CGI.pm

sara yurman syurman@spatialfocus.com
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 08:35:23 -0400

I saw a BoulderIO announcement posted here, and so hope that it's okay
to post a question about it.  If not, please forgive the post.  I have
tried comp.lang.perl.misc and can't even get flamed.

I'd like to use Boulder.pm with input from CGI.pm.  Each works fine
separately, but a call to new Boulder::Store gets ignored in a script
with CGI.pm.

When I run it in my localhost
(http://localhost/cgi-bin/[scriptname].cgi), my error_log file returns
the following message:
Can't call method "write_record" on an undefined value at
/home/httpd/cgi-bin/[scriptname].cgi line [whereever I tried to write
the record].

TIA,

Sara

*********************This works!******************************
#!/usr/bin/perl

use Stone;
use Boulder::Store;

my $stone = new Stone;
$stone->insert(name=>'Sara');
my $store=new Boulder::Store("boulder",true);
print "\$store=".$store."\n";
$store->write_record($stone);

It prints the results nicely, and obediently writes out boulder.data and
boulder.index.

**************This gives the hated error message*******************

#!/usr/bin/perl

use CGI qw(:standard);
use Stone;
use Boulder::Store;

print header;
print start_html('A Simple Example'),
h1('A Simple Example'),
start_form,
"What's your name? ",textfield('name'),
submit,
end_form,
hr;

print end_html;

$stone prints nicely, but the attempt to print $store gives only
"$store =".  I was expecting something like HASH0x..... No
boulder.data or boulder.index.  And the httpd log complains
as noted above.

--

Sara W. Yurman
Spatial Focus, Inc.