Bioperl: Q: Objects in C++ or Java

Ewan Birney birney@sanger.ac.uk
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 18:40:28 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Richard Bruskiewich wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, gert thijs wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I know this question is slightly off topic, but I presume some of you are also
> > working with other programming languages. Does anyone know where I can find
> > some object classes in C++ or Java to access GENBANK or EMBL to download DNA
> > sequences?
> > Or if those don't exist, do you know where I can find information on how to
> > write my own objects to access databases.

You can check out CORBA access to the EBI database via
http://corba.ebi.ac.uk/. I wrote my own slimmed down C-client to this
(called cfetch) which is linked in at
http://corba.ebi.ac.uk/EMBL_demos.html. It uses ORBit as the ORB (which is
my *favourite* ORB, but I am biased...).

Problem - the EBI CORBA server is not kept 100% up to date with the EMBL
database yet (annoyingly). This has been promised for a while...

Writing a C++ client should be fine but a little long winded. I know that
Artemis uses this (check out web pages at
http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Software/Artemis/) via Java. Both Kim Rutherford
(kmr@sanger.ac.uk) and Michele Clamp (michele@sanger.ac.uk) have Java code
for EMBL/swissprot feature tables, and are very good coders. You could
get in touch with them...

For generic C object based libraries - the Wise2 package has an underlying
object model which can be loaded into Perl via XS. I like it... but I am
the author of it <grin>. Go to http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Software/Wise2/
if you want and... well... probably ask why anyone would write a software
package like this in C ;).