Bioperl: Is this a bug?

Osborne, Brian brian.osborne@cadus.com
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 17:44:51 -0500

To the group,

First, congratulations on the impending release. This
group has been an example not just of fine coding but
but of fine collaboration as well. My question is
demonstrated here :

use Bio::Seq;

$myEnt = ">somesequence
gagagaatatagggcgctcgctt
gagatagatataggggggggggg
";

$mySeq = Bio::Seq->new(-seq =>$myEnt,-ffmt => 'Fasta' );

print $mySeq->id;

The result is :

No_Id_Given

If I do :

print $mySeq->layout

the result is :

>No_Id_Given No Description Given
>somesequence
gagagaatatagggcgctcgctt
gagatagatataggggggggggg

If I invoke new() with the "-file" option, and the input file is a fasta
file
and I specify -ffmt => 'Fasta' the id is taken from the string
(skipping white space) after the ">" (and I can see why in the
parse_fasta
method). But you can see that if I use the string above then no id is
found. Is this the desired result? Shouldn't these behave the same?
That is, I'm specifying fasta so the header should at  least be removed.
I ftp'd my Seq.pm and Object.pm from bio.perl.orgj this afternoon.

Thanks again,

Brian O.

Brian Osborne
Cadus Pharmaceutical Corporation