Bioperl: Reading from a stream into Bio::Seq

Ewan Birney birney@sanger.ac.uk
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 17:05:05 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Lincoln Stein wrote:

> If this is a general problem, I'd recommend that we work on an XML or
> Boulder-like syntax for serializing Bio::* objects.  An easy, but
> Perl-specific, alternative is simply to use the Perl Data::Dumper
> serialization class.

I think serialization of objects should be a 'good thing' and a possible
candidate for inclusion into the Bio::Root stuff - though I don't want
to see Bio::Root becoming a monster 'blob' object.

We would be *alot* better off if we could have some higher level language/
documentation control about precisely what fields were in the objects.
(hohohohoho...OOP perl...makes you laugh sometimes).

*BUT* that's not what I wanted. I want to get things out of SRS v.easily.
(one day... srs will properely compile into perl...). So the stream would
be in fasta format.

Both would be nice. ;)