No subject

fuellen@dali.Mathematik.Uni-Bielefeld.DE fuellen@dali.Mathematik.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 15:56:46 +0200 (METDST)

Lincoln Stein writes,
> Ewan Birney writes:
>  > It's a very nice article.

I agree... I'd almost say-- don't cut anything, but submit the article
somewhere else;-)

>  > Two content points:
>  >
>  > a) I think the bio.perl.org site is the better site to reference about
>  > bioperl.

Definitely-- The Bielefeld addresses are mostly historical except
for the UnivAln-related stuff.

Minor comments:

The method first checks whether the new sequence is an object by
calling the Perl built-in ref(), which returns the class name for
objects, and the undefined value for non-objects.
<<<<<<
I believe ref() returns the empty string for non-objects.

     croak "Doesn't look like sequence data"
       unless $sequence=~/^[gactnu ]+$/i;
<<<<<<
At least in this case, I'd prefer carp() to croak(). I'm always very
unhappy if some Perl module stops a long script although it could just
as well have proceeded along after issuing a warning. Perl itself
usually tries to issue warnings instead of dying.

   my $seq = $self->SUPER::seq;
<<<<<<
The extra code listing for sub seq has a different statement here.

well as Perl classes for proteins, genes, genetic maps, phylogenetic
trees and 3D protein structures.
<<<<<<<
I've not yet released my phylogenetics code; only multiple alignment
is available.

As an aside, I'm currently waiting for PDL 2.0 to come out
and stabilize; my plan is to use PDL for UnivAln.pm -- I hope to
be very fast in this way, without touching XS at all.

best wishes,
Georg Fuellen,
Univ. Bielefeld, Research Group in Practical Comp. Science
http://www.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/bcd/welcome.html