Bioperl: BLAST.pm

Steve A. Chervitz sac@genome.stanford.edu
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 11:34:11 -0800 (PST)

SteveB wrote:

> I certainly agree with this as well.  I think that just putting all of
> these modules in a public place (even if they aren't integrated or related
> to each other or Bioperl) would have immense value.

As for a "public place", how about creating a Blast Module Development
page at the Bioperl site? This site could link to sites maintained by
the different developers and would therefore always be up-to-date. (The
developer's sites would link back to the Bioperl site as well). This
should be considered a temporary situation until a standard module
emerges.

> The only difficulty is a naming scheme.  Perhaps Blast_Ryan.pm, and
> Blast_Dagdigian.pm, etc.?

Seems reasonable. To further indicate their beta status we could prefix
them with "Pre" as done for PreSeq.pm. The surname suffix might be
sufficient, though.

> Once the existing code is "out there," we could try looking at it and
> think about combining the best aspects to make an "official bioperl"
> module.

I'm wondering how such a collective development would proceed. For the
other modules, there is typically a designated "chief pumpkin holder" who
acts as a single point for handling bug reports, upgrades, testing,
ensuring the module is in a consistent state, creating a Makefile, etc.
Perhaps this would be the person who first creates a combined Blast
module?

This seems like the perfect topic to be discussed at a Bioperl workshop.
Perhaps we should think more seriously about holding such an event and
the specifics (where, when, why, who-attends, who-sponsors, etc.).

Steve Chervitz