OiB abstract

Georg Fuellen fuellen@dali.Mathematik.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Thu, 15 May 1997 08:52:07 +0000 (GMT)

> Thanks for the comments, Georg. As far as authorship, I'm open to any
> suggestions here. I'll include Chris for sure.

ok. Can you send him your abstract text ??
I feel he should see it ASAP, b/c it may
help a lot if he still has to convince his company to go the Perl way.
I've got to convince local ppl, too. So as soon as I can forward the
abstract text, pls tell me. Bielefeld ppl are mainly JAVA freaks,
and 2 of them will be at the OiB conference (Chris Bueschking and
Chris Schleiermacher; the latter is also doing a little Perl).

> > > 2. Should we mention Georg's Bio::Adm.pm? Also Georg, are you
> > >    willing to make some figures of the Adm.pm output you show at
> > >
> > > http://www.TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE/techfak/persons/fuellen/Tmp/phylojunk.html ?
> >
> > I could make 2 slides out of this, but not going into the details.
> > Just ``here's what users of the module can do''. And - let's mention Adm.pm
> > and Phy.pm is this context.
>
> That would be great. I like how the differential shading creates
> vertical and horizontal patterns that catch the eye, but I'm not sure
> how to interpret all the data here. I'm also a bit sketchy about the
> purposes of Adm.pm and Phy.pm.

I'll include _very short_ explanations of this into the slides.
I don't expect an official release of Adm/Phy.pm for a long time,
b/c I don't have time to make it ready to use for others, and
it contains my advisor's ideas that he'd like to see published before
any code is released.
Instead, I view Adm/Phy.pm as a proof of concept: ``Here's what you can do
using Bio:: modules, and the Perl graphics module PGPERL'' !

best wishes,
georg