Naming the modules; Mailing lists

Georg Fuellen fuellen@dali.Mathematik.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 11:56:40 +0000 (GMT)

Steve,
> > Maybe I can find time over the weekend to retry this - but I need to make
> > one thing sure: Do you agree w/ the recommandations at
> > http://world.std.com/~swmcd/steven/Perl/module_mechanics.html ?
> > I cannot afford spending time on this and discovering later that it's
> > not the right way to do it.
> > [ ] agree [ ] don't agree, ______________________________________
>
> I don't know what you mean by the 'recommendations'.  He just gives some
> suggestions about how to go about building these things.  The directions
> there seem reasonable, though those in man ExtUtils::MakeMaker are the
> ones I would go by.

I guess I can spend hours with ``man ExtUtils::MakeMaker'', so I'll
have to retry the "reasonable" directions in module_mechanics.html...
(Perl has got a lot of ideas on making things easier for the developer,
but ExtUtils::MakeMaker is definitely  not  one of them, IMHO).

> > If we present stuff offline on our multimedia PC, every symbolic link
> > is one too much !
>
> Huh?  Why is the symbolic link a problem?  And what does an offline
> multimedia PC have to do with this anyway?

Whenever we present our award-winning VSNS BioComputing Course, we copy
part of the directory tree at http://www.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/bcd/
onto our Multimedia PC, and we usually also present the Bioperl
project loosely associated with the course, and if anyone knows a nice
free Win95 program that copies a large directory tree without choking
at symbolic links, etc, please drop me a note !
(For the moment, I've added an ``index.html'' at
http://www.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/bcd/Perl/Bio/
because discussing _this_ issue further would even more be a waste of time.)

best wishes,
georg