[BioLib-dev] Perl file pointers

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Mon Feb 8 19:30:05 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 13:23 -0600, Adam A Smith wrote:
> > I'm guessing the appropriate mapping needs to be done in the
> > perl-specific SWIG files in src/mappings/swig/perl.  I'll see if I can
> > get it working, but for now we'll need to assume it's not implemented.
>
> I ran into some of that when I was trying to SWIGify everything this last
> summer.  (I was beginning to look into it myself, when I got swept up in
> the rest of my life.)  Let me know if you find a solution--I'm very
> curious for my own sake.
>
> Adam

I think it's just calling in a specific typemap, something along the
lines of (for perl):

%typemap(in) FILE * {
    $1 = PerlIO_findFILE(IoIFP(sv_2io($input)));
}

Investigating it, perl uses a PerlIO * instead of a simple FILE *, so
the above is necessary.  Python/Ruby/etc may not need that.  Regardless,
I haven't managed to get that working, so I'm scrounging CPAN for a few
SWIG-derived packages to see if there is anything there.

chris