[BioLib-dev] Where can I see "swig"

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl
Fri May 15 23:09:27 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 04:09:53PM -0400, Xin Shuai wrote:
> I noticed that such form of file " _staden_io_lib.so"will be created
> together with corresponding .py and .pyc files
> this .so file is a type of binary file
> What's the function of this file?

It contains Python specific bindings - the C counterpart of the
Python file(s). Some languages have both, Ruby has only a C lib.

The bindings handle the interface between the high level language and
the low level (generic) C libraries - like the functionality in
biolib-staden_io.so (which links against the bindings of all
languages and contains the actual functionality we aim to bind).

Hope that helps. You can try and read the C code.

Pj.