[BioLib-dev] GSL

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl
Wed Aug 5 16:26:16 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 10:29:16AM -0400, Hilmar Lapp wrote:
> However, it does create an additional burden, and especially
> responsibility, for the Biolib maintainers. I'm not convinced that
> fulfilling that responsibility is one of the best ways Biolib developers
> and maintainers can spend their time.

Not really. When the build system works, it is OK. Most users get a
set of binary libraries.

> The other benefit that treating it as an external dependency has is
> tempering that desire for the bleeding edge. The bleeding edge cuts
> well, but it's full of blood too.

Stable installs tend to be older than 1 year. Which is a lot.

> That all being said, having the GSL SWIG-mapped as a first class library
> in Biolib so that all Bio* projects can take advantage of it would be
> very cool in its own right.

The GSL has been mapped for Perl and Ruby in ASciLib. I'll import
that into biolib soon.

There is another aspect. Because we have the sources together it is
easier to fix stuff and send upstream. Rather then working around
problems. So I think it worth our while.

Pj.