[Biojava-l] how to cancel download chemcomp when parser a PDB file

Andreas Prlic andreas at sdsc.edu
Sun Dec 19 08:38:08 UTC 2010

Hi Daniel,

The chemical components provide the chemically correct definition of
the various groups. There are quite a few chemically modified amino
acids in PDB files which can be represented as amino acids, rather
than Hetatom groups, based on these definitions. This has an impact on
the sequence alignment that is done during the alignSeqRes process.
Without the correct representations, those groups would be flagged as
"X", or might be missing. Will set up a wiki page which explains all
the parsing options in detail.

About your 2nd comment. There is now a new ChemCompProvider interface.
Perhaps there should be a new implementation of this, which is
downloading the file that contains all chemcomps bundled and provide
the data from there...

Andreas