[Biojava-l] BioJava, Dazzle and Google App Engine (Java version)

Rouilly, Vincent vincent.rouilly03 at imperial.ac.uk
Sun Aug 9 10:50:33 UTC 2009

Hi,

thanks for your quick replies.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am also using the stand-alone Google Engine for now, with the Eclipse plug-in.
And, my development platform is a Mac OS 10.4.11, with JRE 1.6 from Soylatte, and Eclipse v3.4.2.

I have read through the dazzle documentation, but I still can't get it to work within the Google App Engine / Eclipse environment.
I am not very familiar with Eclipse, so it is very likely that I am not doing things right.

Here is the process I have followed to give Dazzle  a try to on the Google Engine. But remember, this process doesn't work for me.
I hope it makes sense, and that someone can point me to the right direction.

many thanks,
Vincent.

1- Download 'dazzle' in /tmp/  using subversion (http://biojava.org/wiki/Dazzle):
	svn checkout http://www.derkholm.net/svn/repos/dazzle/trunk /tmp/dazzle

2- Create new Google App Engine project from Eclipse (after Google Engine plugin installation):
	Project name: dazzle
	Package: org.biojava.servlets.dazzle
	Uncheck 'Use Google Web Toolkit'
	Finish

3- Import 'dazzle' Jar files into 'dazzle google engine' project
	import from /tmp/dazzle/jars: bioJava.jar, bytecode.jar, dasmi-model.jar, servlet-api-2.3.jar
	In Eclipse, 'dazzle' project Properties -> Java Build Path -> Add  External Jars

4- Import 'dazzle' src files into 'dazzle google engine' project
	drag-and-drop /tmp/dazzle/src/org folder into 'Eclipse:/ dazzle/src' folder

5- Import 'dazzle' ressources folder into 'dazzle google engine' project
	drag-and-drop /tmp/dazzle/resources folder into 'Eclipse:/dazzle' folder

5- Import WEB-INF files into 'dazzle google engine' project
	drag-and-drop files from /tmp/dazzle/dazzle-webapp into Eclipse:/dazzle/war/.

6- Update web.xml file in Eclipse:/dazzle/war/WEB-INF/
	 <servlet>
     	 <servlet-name>DazzleServerMain</servlet-name>
      	<servlet-class>org.biojava.servlets.dazzle.DazzleServlet</servlet-class>
    	</servlet>

    	<servlet-mapping>
      	<servlet-name>DazzleServerMain</servlet-name>
      	<url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
    	</servlet-mapping>

	welcome-file-list: dazzle-welcome.html

6- Run application as web Application in Eclipse
	check with web browser: http://localhost:8080/das/dsn