[Biojava-l] About ABITrace class

Andy Yates ayates at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Jan 7 14:36:26 UTC 2008

Hi David,

Not to worry it's quite confusing at first. ChromatogramGraphic.Option
is a pre Java 1.5 enum (where a restricted vocab is specified by class
type rather than accepting plain Strings or ints which can be abused).
Your code should look something like:

Chromatogram c = getChromatogram();
Alignment baseCalls = c.getBaseCalls();
//Of course you've got to check if you've got an alignment, base pairs
//and that these values are going to make sense when rendering (nothing
//beats attempting to render a chromatogram from & to the same position)
int start = getIndex(0, baseCalls);
int end = getIndex(baseCalls.length);

ChromatogramGraphic cg = new ChromatogramGraphic(c);
cg.setOption(ChromatogramGraphic.Option.FROM_TRACE_SAMPLE, start);
cg.setOption(ChromatogramGraphic.Option.TO_TRACE_SAMPLE, end);

private int getIndex(int pos, Alignment baseCalls) {
	Symbol sym = baseCalls.symbolAt(Chromatogram.OFFSETS, pos);
	return ((IntegerAlphabet.IntegerSymbol)sym).intValue();
}

It's been a long time since I've used this library in anger (and to be
honest I wrote a wrapper around it for my particular usage) but
hopefully it should give you a point in the right direction (also the
above code is in Java 5 so that will probably have an impact on it
working for you).

Hope that helps

Andy