[Biojava-l] SAX, DOM, XPath and Flat files

David Huen smh1008 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Dec 4 09:45:16 UTC 2007

On Dec 4 2007, Andy Yates wrote:

>be wanting. It more depends on is there a good enough XPath
>implementation that can handle the XML files we'll be pushing through it
>(why is it I think the answer is no).

And why is it I think you are right? :-)

Some of the XML files used by bioinformaticians can be horrendously large
and at least some of the XML packages do appear to behave like they bring
the whole file into a memory representation before allowing you to work on
it. I think memory use and performance was a major factor in the current BJ
implementations adopting an event-based model even though it's more
difficult to use usually.

Regards,
DH

--