[Biojava-l] SequencePanel changes between 1.3 and 1.4pre1

Mark Southern msouthern at exsar.com
Tue Jan 11 09:48:36 EST 2005

I've just started looking at 1.4pre1 (sorry to take so long!).

I am using SequencePanel's to view protein sequences. I add multiple
SequencePanels (each having the same sequence) to a Container with a
BoxLayout. Each displays a different RangeLocation with the overall effect
that the sequence appears to wrap over many lines. The credit for this idea
goes to Mathew Pocock and it was working very nicely :-)

It breaks in 1.4pre1 however and the change that causes this is that the
SequencePanel's position within it's Container ( getX() and getY() ) is
added to the Graphics2D translation in the SequencePanel's paintComponent()
method. The SequencePanel is then painted in an unseen part of it's
Container.

i.e. from;

g2.translate(leadingBorder.getSize() - minAcross + insets.left, insets.top);

to;

g2.translate(leadingBorder.getSize() - minAcross + insets.left + getX(),
insets.top + getY());

I can imagine using a SequencePanel being used in a Container with a
BorderLayout or BoxLayout but I can't imagine it being arranged at a
coordinate other than (0,0). Can someone please explain the rationale for
the 1.4pre1 way of doing things or can we switch back to what 1.3 did?

Cheers,

Mark.