[Biojava-l] Questions about simple alignment

MoonTigress Chiko moontigresschiko at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 19 04:21:31 EDT 2004

Hi everyone,

I'm quite new to biojava and to the mailinglist so I'm not sure if my
question has been answered before, although I did look into the older
mailinglist entries and found nothing...

Anyway, I'm writing a little java programn to align two protein sequences,
using the pam250 matrix. So there is my first question, is the pam250 matrix
already loaded in biojava? (like with the needleman algoritm, which has its
own class)
I looked al over the API en cookbook and wherever on google, but I couldn't
find any information on this. If not, how can I make the simple alignment
use the pam250 matrix?

My second question is how to make penalty's in the alignment. Like a
origination penalty (of 8) and a length penalty (of 2). It seemed impossible
to scan the entry string (given in a textfield) for the existance of an '-'
and then add the penalty's so that's not an option. How can I do it
otherwise?

TIA!

Chiko.