[Biojava-l] File formats

Rhett Sutphin rhett-sutphin at uiowa.edu
Thu Nov 20 10:05:46 EST 2003

Hi Rich, Matthew,

I am also not a lawyer.  That in mind, here's my understanding of the topic:

First, the org.biojava.bio.program.abi package is based on a paper by Clark Tibbetts (available online: http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/genome/WWW/Papers/clark.html ).  That paper was published in August 1995 and is a fairly thorough technical description of the ABI 377, including its means of operation, communication protocols, and (of course) data files.  I am unaware of any legal action taken against him or Vanderbilt (his apparent employer at the time).  And, of course, the paper remains available.

Second, the Staden io_lib library can read ABI-formatted chromatograms.  I am unaware of any legal action against its makers and it is currently available (and has been for a while).

Third (and this is, again, just my understanding of current US law), reverse engineering for interoperability is legal.  The only area where this is not true is if the material is (a) copyrighted and (b) protected by an "access control."  If these conditions are met, then the material falls under that most unpleasant of IP laws, the DMCA.  However, (a) whoever wants to read the ABI files with your software will probably own the copyright to them (if they are even copyrightable -- they might just be lists of facts and hence uncopyrightable in the US); and (b) I don't think a proprietary file format rises to the level of an "access control."  An ABI file isn't encrypted -- you just have to know what offsets from which to read the bytes.

Rhett