[Biojava-l] SequencePoster

Valentin Ruano valentin_ruano at yahoo.es
Mon Nov 3 14:55:34 EST 2003

Hi everyone,

I plan to develop an small bioinformatic application
using Java involving some Swing UI.

Firstly I would like to be able to show a single
sequence and multi sequence alignments.

Since the sequence could be rather long, using a
multiline display, such as SequencePoster, is best.
The problem I am experiencing with SequencePoster is
that apparently It is not possible to have control on
the number of columns it displays per line, that is,
the line "desirable" length. Moreover, the line length
seems to be set in order to minimise the number of
blank position in the last line right corner.

I try to set the maximum size for the poster component
and also its container panel but it does not stop it
from span beyond the left and right frame limits when
the line length is two big.

At last I tried to use setLines(0) for automatic line
number calculation depending on space available as
indicated in the JavaDoc API. But it just returns and
Out of Memory error. The same happens with negative
line numbers.

output:

No sequence
Fitting to sequence
Initial width: 0
alongDim (pixles needed for sequence only): 48.0
Fitting to sequence
Initial width: 0
alongDim (pixles needed for sequence only): 48.0
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
Exception in thread "main"

About the alignment issue. There is this other
JComponent for pairwise alignment so just two
sequences. What about multi sequence alignments, is
there any plans for this?

    thanks and regards, Valentin.