[Biojava-l] Re: BioJava Lims Query -

Thomas Down td2 at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Feb 28 08:03:44 EST 2003

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 09:54:52PM -0500, Chris Dagdigian wrote:

> Hi Sameer,
>
> I only manage the cvsweb installation at cvs.bioperl.org, not the actual
> BioJava project or codebase.
>
> I've cc'd this reply to the biojava mailing list where you will find
> people better equipped to answer your query.
>
> Regards,
> Chris
>

> Sameer Wagh wrote:
> >Dear Chris !
> >
> >I have browsed the site of cvs bioperl and saw your name listed as a
> >site keeper !
> >
> >The program of JpegEncoder is listed as freeware.
> >
> >Is this program freeware ?? As James White's home page says it as USD
> >19. I am confused.
> >
> >The files listed in your site are showing James White's name. It has a
> >License TXT which allows me to modify the code.
> >
> >Can you give some details ?? Am I free to use and modify the code ??
> >
> >The James White Home page - Obrador does not say that.
> >
> >Will you please clarify.

The whole of the biojava-lims module was contributed by Alex
Rolfe, who I've copied on this mail.  It looks like the licence
for the JpegEncoder package has recently been changed, because
I can find the old, "Redistribution and use in source and binary forms,
with or without modification" licence in quite a few places on
the web:

     http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/doc/user/JpegEncoder.license.txt
     http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~jwo/landserf/landserf180/thirdParties/jpegencoder/license.txt
     ...etc...

so I presume it was distributed under this licence for some
time.  I don't see how this licence can be revoked on copies
that have already been distributed.

That said, I wouldn't really recommend using *any* third party
Jpeg library any more, unless you've found something badly
wrong with the one supplied in javax.imageio.plugins.jpeg.