[Biojava-l] Java Resource Management [a semi troll...]

Ewan Birney birney at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Feb 10 11:55:03 EST 2003

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Simon Brocklehurst wrote:

> Ewan Birney wrote:
>
> Ewan,
>
> The issues in that memo are real.  Are those *really* the reasons for
> your reluctance to move to Java?  Are you sure it's not more of a "not
> wanting to start all over again" kind of learning issue?
>
> I remember very well when I switched from C to Java in 1997, it was
> pretty painful.   This was not so much the state of Java back then, but
> more of "how can I live without pointer arithmetic?", "how the hell do I
> convert a string to a float?" type of issues...

True. Probably more of my reluctance is the relearning curve. But I often
my algorithms try to use all the memory of the machine, and if I start
running some extra overhead I wont be happy...

... but, yes, it is sheer laziness on my part with a shade of not wanting
to learn something which then wont work...