[Biojava-l] accessing blast and genbank

jawue001 at uni-duesseldorf.de jawue001 at uni-duesseldorf.de
Mon Feb 10 10:32:41 EST 2003

Hi. I am wondering if there exists an implementation to access databases
(like blast) from within Java (without the webinterface). I have seen it
as Perl modules, but I rather need it for Java.

I have read the mailing list and found the link to the "Blast Java
Library" by Patrick McConnell. Can anyone tell me if this is the right way
to go? As I understand, an external program is called (the original blast
software?). Is there a reason why whatever the blast program does cannot
be implemented in Java?

Thanks,
cheers
Jan